Wyffels Hybrids Atkinson, IL Full-time Construction / Physical Labor / Skilled Trades
Posted on February 26, 2023
The Production Technician is involved in all areas of seed production at Wyffels Hybrids and performs any or all of the tasks associated with general plant operations and field activities. Responsibilities vary throughout the year, and may include crop production, detasseling, harvest, conditioning, packaging, or warehousing.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other responsibilities as management may deem necessary from time to time.
- Interact and maintain a positive working relationship with growers, detasseling and roguing contractors, field inspectors, and detasseling machine operators.
- Receive and process trucks hauling seed corn from the field for weighing and unloading.
- Oversee husk and sort operation.
- Operate dryer to dry seed corn ears within the prescribed safety, quality, and financial requirements.
- Organize and facilitate the shelling and storage of corn from bins in the dryer facility.
- Supply the Conditioning department with a constant supply of seed.
- Clean and size seed corn.
- Apply appropriate treatment to seed.
- Label, tag, bag and palletize seed corn.
- Enter inventory information into computer.
- Retag in-house seed.
- Re-bag backhaul (returned) seed.
- Organize, store, and maintain inventory of bulk and bagged seed utilizing electronic inventory system.
- Stage seed for shipment in warehouse.
- Schedule and dispatch vehicles for distributing seed to customers, and return of seed during backhaul.
- Perform regular and preventative maintenance of equipment in assigned areas.
- Ensure that employees and equipment are utilized efficiently.
- Minimize downtime in plant operations.
- Supervise seasonal staff and schedule work.
- Required to work overtime hours including weekends and other shifts during seasonal peaks.
- Perform all duties in a safe manner following company policies while also ensuring safety of co-workers and reports.
- Bachelor's degree in ag-related field.
- Two to three (2-3) years of on-the-job or related agricultural experience.
- Must possess a valid driver's license, and remain insurable under company auto policy.
- Possess or willing to obtain a Commercial Driver's License (CDL).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Knowledge of production agriculture and production plant operations
- Ability to safely perform duties in timely fashion while maintaining seed quality
- Willingness to work in a variety of areas outdoors and indoors in hot, cold, wet and dry conditions.
- Previous training on field inspection.
- Ability to work independently or with a team
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to adjust to changing conditions and anticipate needs
- Ability to make independent decisions
- Excellent safety habits
- Supervisory / coaching / leadership experience
- Strong organizational skills
- Problem solving and conflict management skills
- Basic level of PC skills
- Forklift operation
- Knowledge of OSHA Standards for General Industry