Application Deadline: Friday, December 2, by 1:00 p.m.
Salary & Benefits:
- Starting Pay: $55,993.60/year
- Excellent health benefits and pension
- Uniform allowance: $700/year
- Educational incentive and holiday pay
- Earned time off, including: Vacation, Personal, Compensation, & Sick Time
- Shift Differential: $0.50/hour extra for 2nd & 3rd shifts
- Cadets will attend a 16-week Police Academy with full pay and benefits
- Training to meet all statutory state mandates set forth by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board
- 18 month probationary period for non-certified officers
- 12 month probationary period for certified officers
- 2 year contract
Age & Residency:
- 21-35 years of age (exceptions for military time, prior law enforcement, and 20 years old with a two-year Law Enforcement degree)
- Must live within a 30-mile radius of the Silvis Police Department
Characteristics of the Job:
Under general supervision, performs a variety of routine tasks requiring application of judgment based on knowledge gained through experience and training and occasionally exercises independent judgment when dealing with emergency situations. Is responsible for the protection of life and property and the preservation of order in the City of Silvis through enforcement of laws and ordinances. Work normally consists of pro-active patrol responding to calls for service, traffic enforcement and investigative duties when following up on certain calls. May also be assigned to specialized units responsible for follow-up investigations, self-initiated criminal investigations, traffic enforcement and other support or staff services. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Training and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to successfully complete the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board Basic Recruit Training program (Police Academy.)
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Good communication skills and general intelligence.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and establish and maintain satisfactory working relationships with peers, superiors, other agencies and the general public.
- Prior Law Enforcement experience a plus.
- Prior Military experience a plus.
TESTING WILL BE HELD on Saturday, December 10th, at 9:00 a.m. at Black Hawk College.
LATERAL ENTRIES: Prior full-time, certified law enforcement officers in good standing with the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board may quality for a testing waiver.
Prior military may qualify for five (5) military preference points under 625 ILCS 5/10-1-16 on exams.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
CITY OF SILVIS CIVIL SERVICE COMMISSION