Laborer - Public Works
Laborer – Public Works (2 Vacancies)
Application Deadline: Wednesday, June 7, 2023, at 5:00 p.m.
Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Position is likely to be assigned to 3rd shift during winter season
(approximately December through March).
Rate of Pay: $20.5021 Hourly
Characteristics of the Job
Under close supervision, performs manual unskilled and semi-skilled work in the routine operation of trucks, motorized equipment and hand tools and routine maintenance and repair of streets and sewers. Assignments may be given in detail or may follow established routine. Limited independence is exercised; work is regularly checked by the supervisor for quality, quantity and safety of operation and care of equipment.
Examples of Duties
- Perform pavement repair work to streets, alleys, sidewalks and parking lots. Set forms for concrete pavement and structures; pour and finish concrete and make routine and permanent asphalt repairs and patches.
- Utilize hand tools to manually shovel asphalt and rock, install signs, move office furniture, unload and deliver supplies and materials, clean sewers, vacuum leaves, weed eat, mulch and cut wood.
- Operate public works vehicles ranging from pickups to tandem dump trucks to haul materials, make street repairs, load refuse and perform leaf collection, snow removal and ice control duties.
- Utilize public works equipment to repair and maintain chip and seal, asphalt and concrete streets and parking lots; maintain right-of-way, spread rock, load trucks, collect refuse and plow snow.
- Maintain public works equipment and vehicles by performing minor maintenance and service including, but not limited to, greasing fittings, topping off fluids, changing brooms, changing plow blades and calibrating salt spreaders.
- Perform work zone safety duties including signing of work zones and detours; utilize and wear proper protective safety gear and equipment.
- Clean and maintain equipment as necessary.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Required Training and Experience
High school diploma or GED equivalent; one (1) year experience in operation and routine maintenance of public works trucks and construction motor equipment and in road and sewer maintenance or related work; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
General knowledge of public works, construction techniques and standards; basic maintenance and manual work tasks; operation and function of related hand and power tools; safe work practices.
Skill in effectively communicating with those contacted throughout the course of the workday; maintaining effective working relationships with other departments, agencies, employees, supervisors and members of the public; and in the safe and proper operation of equipment and hand tools.
Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; ensure a safe work environment; work assigned shifts and standby; report to emergency work situations, including snow removal and signs down.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Valid Illinois Class B Commercial Driver’s License (CDL-B) with air brakes endorsement, or equivalent, within 60 days of hire.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, employee is regularly required to talk or hear; frequently required to walk, stand, sit, use hands and fingers to handle, feel and make fine adjustments, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl. The employee will frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to work under varied weather conditions.
AFSCME employees shall live within a 20-mile radius from the City’s Emergency Center, located at 1630 8th Avenue in Moline, within 180 days of hire.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER